Could the AlterG Help Your Knee or Back Pain?
A Space-Age Rehab Tool
Based on technology developed by NASA, the AlterG Treadmill® is a state-of-the-art training tool with a wide range of rehab applications. Its unique design allows the user to walk or run at a fraction of his or her body weight, drastically reducing impact forces and joint trauma. As a result, it is an excellent training tool for those who are overweight, have joint pain, are new to exercise, recovering from injury, or have difficulty walking.
The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill® has revolutionized medical rehabilitation equipment with its unique differential air pressure technology that provides accurate, safe and comfortable partial weight-bearing therapy while promoting normal gait patterns.
- Unique unweighting technology provides the opportunity to rehabilitate lower extremities like never before
- Precise partial weight-bearing enables accurate implementation of unweighting protocols not found in any other rehabilitation equipment on the market
- Provides highly effective neuromuscular and proprioceptive retraining
- Technology developed at NASA and further developed by AlterG for medical rehabilitation, fitness and sports performance training
Parkinson's, Stroke, Arthritis
It has been used successfully to rehabilitate post-surgical patients, train professional athletes, preserve mobility in Parkinson patients, and as a means of introducing physical activity to overweight or severely deconditioned individuals. According to Derek Neill, PT, the AlterG is a great alternative for those who would benefit from pool therapy but dislike bathing suits and cold weather.
Andy Burfoot, Editor at Large for Runners World magazine states, “The AlterG is the most significant advancement in training equipment for distance runners in the last half century.”
The Anti-Gravity Treadmill® is FDA-cleared for the following functional rehabilitation indications:
- Rehabilitation following injury or surgery of the lower extremity (hip, knee, ankle or foot)
- Rehabilitation after total joint replacement
- Gait training in neurologic patients
- Strengthening and conditioning in older patients
- Weight control and reduction
- Sport specific conditioning programs
- Aerobic conditioning
Unlike the simple lift harness devices, AlterG rehabilitation treadmills incorporate differential air pressure technology developed by NASA and enhanced by AlterG to provide precise unweighting in one percent increments to as low as 20 percent of the patient's body weight. AlterG's exclusive precision gives patients the ability to set the exact point where exercise becomes pain free and provides clinicians a way to accurately measure patient rehabilitation progress. This revolutionary medical rehab equipment is used and recommended by leading physical therapy clinics, hospitals, colleges and pro sports teams. You can read more about our medical findings in our clinical rehabilitation data section.
Most lower extremity rehabilitation programs stress the importance of becoming mobile as soon as possible. AlterG rehabilitation treadmills offer the most advanced anti-gravity approach to physical therapy based on "unweighting" technology. It is safe, effective and FDA cleared and covered by many health insurance plans.Back to Services